Here is my recap/thoughts on the February 10th 2012 edition of Smackdown.
The Great Khali defeated Jinder Mahal.
– I might be one of the few people who actually enjoy Jinder Mahal. I don’t enjoy him jobbing all the time, like he has been lately. The Great Khali finished the match with a Punjabi Plunge. I love Jinder’s face when he sells a finisher, he seems to be “out of it”.
Divas Champion Beth Phoenix defeated Alicia Fox.
– This match wasn’t too bad but it didn’t have the length as Beth Phoenix pretty much dominated the whole match. Alicia did show some agility and flexibility, including ducking a clothesline into a bridge. Beth finished her off with a Glam Slam. After the match Tamina came running out and Beth backed away.
Sheamus & Big Show defeated Wade Barrett & Intercontinental Champion Cody Rhodes.
– This match was setup at the beginning of the show by Teddy Long. This wasn’t a bad tag team match at all. Wade and Cody really work well as a team. The great thing I found about this match was no one looked weak after it. It ended with the Big Show spearing Cody and Sheamus hitting Wade with a Brogue Kick.
Ted DiBiase defeated Hunico.
– This was a rematch from two weeks ago, Hunico picked up the victory last time. He really focused on Ted’s wrist throughout most of the match which made sense. When he smacked his wrist off the ring post it sounded worse then it was. I was thinking to myself wow even if it wasn’t injured that would hurt. The difference this time was Ted picked up the victory over Hunico with a quick roll up from behind.
[Main Event] World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan defeated Randy Orton by disqualification. *MOTN
– I gave this one the match of the night award, despite it not being the best showing by either guy. I think the ending of the match took a little away from it but I seen it coming. Bryan and Randy went back and forth throughout the match, eventually Bryan got knocked to the outside and he decided he was going to walk away with the title. As he was walking away he pushed the Big Show that was doing commentary during the match. Big Show attacked Bryan and got Randy disqualified. After the match Randy Orton RKO’d Bryan and then proceeded to push the Big Show, which lead to them fighting at the announce table as Smackdown ended.
News & Notes
– Daniel Bryan tried to get out of his match with Randy Orton by first saying he was sick to his stomach about Teddy Long hosting a BBQ outside the arena earlier that day. Then he tried to get out by trying to take AJ back to the hotel in a Prius. He was told he would be stripped of the title if he left the arena.
– WWE revealed a new Rock promo, talking more about his past.
– AJ told Michael Cole off in the middle of the ring during an interview conducted by Cole.
– This was a switch from last weeks Smackdown in regards to the flow of the show. In 70 minutes you had two matches by the half way point we had seen three matches. Overall I enjoyed this Smackdown better than last but it still wasn’t awesome by any means. They definitely stressed matches this time around.
– I thought every part with Daniel Bryan on the show was great, rather it was him busting in on Teddy Long and Aksana. Him coming out to help AJ from Michael Cole’s ranting in the ring. Or his match with Randy Orton at the end.
– It was nice to see Sheamus in a more meaningful match this week.
– It was interesting to note that I had predicted all five of the match winners. No I didn’t read any spoilers.
After all was said and done I’d give this edition of Smackdown a 5 out of 10.