I’ve been playing a lot of NHL 12 lately, particularly the “Season Mode” or as I like to call it a Franchise Mode. With that being said I feel that the franchise mode is lacking a few (some consider) minor additions that other sports titles may have.
When it comes to sports simulation I try and get the best and most realistic results I can get from a franchise mode. That usually is the bread and butter when it comes to sports games for me. What I’m saying is I’m a complete nerd when it comes to franchise modes in sports games. I like to feel as if I am in complete control of my team or even the league to some degree. It’s an important aspect for me and how much replay value will come out of it. Up to date rosters is a must for me and if by some chance there isn’t a new roster update, I often take the liberty of doing them manually to get the authentic feel.
What I’m getting at is the core game play of NHL 12 is fantastic, you really can’t complain about it. However to me the franchise mode is really stripped down and could use a make-over. I have a list of additions I would like EA implement in next years addition (fingers crossed).
Three Stars of the Week
– I would consider this a minor one, but something that wouldn’t take too much effort in applying. After all the NHL does this to celebrate the top three players of the week.
Touch up on the franchise menu
– This one again isn’t out of the question and I think it needs it. For instance I think that there should be a specific “page” for transactions. I don’t like the fact that after a certain amount of transactions (say 15) happen the older ones get removed and lost in the shuffle. If I seen a trade and I happened to forget about it weeks later, I would not be able to go back and look for it. The transactions page was used as an example, there is other touch ups I’d like to see.
– I’d like to see an addition to an actual IR. Where if your player is hurt to a point where he cannot suit up and play we should have an option to place him on the IR. Which then would keep him out of action for at least a week before he could be activated from the IR. This would free up a roster spot and give you more financial flexibility should one of your star players go down.
AHL (Minor Leagues)
– Now yes they do have this in the game for other modes but specifically all they have for franchise mode is just a placeholder team essentially. Your minor league players do not play during the season in the AHL, stats are not tracked and you cannot play your AHL affiliate. This to me takes away a lot of strategy from the mode. What if I have someone struggling in the pros and I want to send him down for someone who is excelling in the minors? Well I won’t know if he is because he doesn’t officially play.
Hot & Cold Streaks
– This has been added in to the Madden and MLB2k series just recently and I hope the NHL series follows suit. This also plays into the Minor League functionality. If someone is on a hot streak they should see a temporary attribute bonus and the temporary attribute drop if they end up on a cold streak.
New All-Star Feature
– Now I am not certain about this one because I haven’t gotten to the All-Star game in this years iteration. I am going to assume that they don’t have it in this year and if they do I will remove this unless I feel there is something that it can build upon. What I would like to see is have a pool of the top 50 players statistically (at least one from each team) and let you choose the team you want and have the CPU control the other half of the draft.
Those are the franchise additions/upgrades I’d like to see coming in the near future. They all would benefit the franchise mode greatly and add more replay value to us franchise junkies.